Wednesday 20 June 2007

35% of coding time spent on IE/FireFox incompatibilities

David Berlind reports his discussions with Tim Hamilton of OpenTeams.

My experiences resonate with Tim's. I can't say if it's been 35% for me, but it's a big pain. However, it hasn't been enough to stop me using FireFox as the main develoment platform and only work around the incompatibilities in IE, even if I only have to support IE. The development tools available for FireFox are that much better.

Another problem I frequently encounter is the performance of javascript when the size of the dataset increases.

The latest Flash Player versions feature a JIT compiler ... I think I'll have to find time to play with Adobe Flex and Microsoft Silverlight a little. Bummer!! For some reason I fancy the idea of being able to create rich apps on plain browsers.

No comments: