Sunday 8 July 2007

Adobe Flex, First Impressions

During the last couple of weeks, I've been working with Flex to see if it would be a better fit for the app I'm working on than AJAX.

It is.

Here's what I like about Flash/Flex:
  • Good support for OOP (OOP is a natural fit for UI development)
  • ActionScript is also a functional language (like Javascript)
  • Binding (a mechanism for stringing UI controls to data structures with minimal effort)
  • The platform is robust, compared to browsers
I don't like the sluggish compilation step during debugging.


It looks like Flash/Flex is pretty well positioned and moving forward in many fronts:
  • Open Sourcing parts of the platform and development tools attracts developers
  • Flash support is getting better on mobile devices (Nokia, Apple)
  • Flex is gaining foothold as an alternative UI for business applications (SAP)
I think Flex is well worth learning.

No comments: